Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year!!





Happy New Year!  So here we are.  2018.  A clean slate.  We can officially leave 2017 behind and start anew.

I was reading about New Years resolutions,  and it appears that about 35% of humans make them, but only 10% who do are successful in following through with them.  There are some studies that say almost 20% are successful - but still, the overall success rate is NOT high.  Right now, your chance for carrying through is slightly better than the FG's recall. So that's not saying much.  Let's take a look a list of typical human resolutions once published in Time magazine, and see if I could carry them out:

1.  Lose weight and get fit.  I don't need this one. I'm skinny.  Well, I'm a GOOD weight - although I still maintain that I should be getting MORE food.  This is, however, a good one for my human.  But don't tell her I said so.  I'll just keep squeaking to get her to take me out - so I can help her with this one...

2.  Quit smoking.  I think I'll use this one and so will my human.  OK.  None of us DO smoke.  But at least we could be successful with one...

3.  Learn something new.  I like this one.  Maybe I could get back into my Rally training.  My human has LOTS of ideas for "new" things.  If she just had the time...we'll try to encourage her for this one.

4.  Eat healthier and diet.  Anything that involves food - I'm in.  We all need more veggies in our future.  My human included!  But I'm skipping the diet part...

5.  Get out of debt and save money.  I don't HAVE any money - or any way to earn it.  Although the FG and Einstein actually "won" some money for participating in a dog show last year.  And they didn't beat anyone.  I still think that was a sweet deal.  I think it was kind of a consolation prize.  No matter - we'll take money any time we can.  Maybe we can try that this year.  Sure and just watch.  They'll change the prizes to something like a new grooming tool.  That would be just my luck...

6.  Spend more time with family. I spend all my days with Einstein and the FG.  That's plenty in my mind.  Now we just need to get my human to retire - so SHE can be here too...

7.  Travel to new places.  We went to Cape Breton in 2017 - but we had been there before...I think we need some new road trips this year.  Even short trips...  But we need to act civilly when we get out of the vehicle.  Let's just say our overexuberant behavior when arriving at a new place IS a bit over the top...Maybe we need to go to new places ONE at a time....

8.  Be less stressed.  This is a typical human issue.  Humans are always stressed.  They could take a cue from us dogs at how to be less stressed.  Unless we think it is time to eat, and our human has forgotten.  THEN we are stressed.  Or we arrive at a new destination...

9.  Volunteer.  My human used to do volunteer work with the Halifax Kennel Club - visiting nursing homes and recreation centers with her dogs and performing in a Drill Team.  The club stopped that a number of years ago now.  I think that would be a fun thing to do.  I'm not so sure, though, that any of us would REALLY qualify as certified therapy dogs.  Unless you want people to NEED therapy after they meet us...

10. Drink less.  I thought you were SUPPOSED to drink lots of water.  Wait - Einstein just indicated that it's ALCOHOL they are referring to.  OK.  None of us dogs drink.  We DO however, drive my human to drink.  Can't blame her for this one.  But she does need to drink more water too - I could give her lessons.

Some sources say that if you want to be successful with your resolution, just pick one.  Here are a few to think about - most of which would be prefect for my human...
  • Clean out your closet.  Admittedly it would take a week - but right now, we dogs could get lost in there.  And we love to go in, on the off chance that we can find some kibble in a coat pocket or a pair of pants...
  • Empty your inbox.  She started this the other day.  She's actually down to just over 10,000.  Yes.  You read that correctly...
  • Go to bed on time.  Because it is likely one of us will wake her up anyway, either wanting to go out (like I did the other night), or by making the urky-gurky sound - because we ate something unsavoury in the woods.
No matter what you choose - make your resolution a good, attainable goal.  And if by March you have already ditched your goal (like most humans), just start again!!  You know what they say, if at first you don't succeed, pick something easier.  Or something like that.

Have a good one.  Peace an paws up!

No comments:

Post a Comment